OME can arrange accommodation for students in local private homes for an arrangement fee of £30.
Hosts who provide accommodation for OME are within walking distance of OME, or a short bus or tube ride away. Usually, one or two students stay with each host, the maximum is four students per host.
You will have your own room, and share the kitchen and bathroom with the host; occasionally you may have your own bathroom. Bed linen is provided and there are weekly laundry facilities.
The weekly rent is approximately £140 - £160, depending on your requirements. Meals provided by the host are at additional cost, depending on requirements.
You must pay your rent at least one week in advance. When you wish to leave you must tell your host at least one week in advance.
Lodging in a private home
Points to take into consideration when living with a host:
- It enables you to develop your English through speaking with the host
- You will gain an understanding of living in England and of English culture
- The weekly payment includes all bills
- Remember that you are living in someone’s home. Treat your host with respect, be tidy in shared parts of the house, and tell them if you’re going to be out late. If you wish to have visitors, please ask your host first.
Renting a bed sit or room in a flat
Students who are familiar with the UK sometimes prefer to live with friends in flats or houses. If you rent directly from a landlord or agency you may find it harder to manage on your own, especially if you are new to England.
Points to take into consideration when renting from a landlord:
- You have to sign an agreement, which is legally binding.
- You will have to pay a deposit to the landlord and be responsible for bills and expenses as well as rent – this may cost more than staying with a host.
- It may be lonely unless you share with someone who is friendly and has time to speak to you and give help and advice.
- You may have fewer opportunities to develop your English and to learn about English culture.
- You will probably have more independence and be able to have visitors when you wish.